[RFI] tips for finding the source of broadband mixing products

Matt NQ6N matt at nq6n.com
Mon Sep 30 12:26:46 EDT 2019

I'll add a bit more information.  Thanks much for the suggestions so far:

- The rig is a Flex 6600 SDR transmitting 1 Watt.  There is a Morgan
Manufacturing 40m bandpass filter (I measured it as having 28 db of
attenuation at 14 MHz) between the rig and amp (which is in standby) and
also a VA6AM high power 40m bandpass filter (air coil version with claimed
performance of -70 db at 14 MHz) after the amplifier.

- The TX antenna is an inverted vee in the back yard, and the RX antenna is
an inverted L in the front yard.  So only about 50' of physical separation
of omnidirectional antennas, but lots of BPF filtering and low TX power.

- Completely disconnecting the RX antenna weakens the second harmonic
signal quite a lot and makes the note sound like a pure sine wave, but it
could be that I am not hearing the IMD products when the signal is so much
weaker.

- I had a typo in my original message. It was the second harmonic. I'd just
been listening to the third harmonic when I hastily typed my message, and
didn't notice before hitting send.

- I'll be onsite today with a spectrum analyzer, so any tips on things to
measure would be helpful.  Just wanted to update the thread with the above
info.

73,
Matt NQ6N