[RFI] New HDTV Purchase - What to Avoid?

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 06:38:49 EST 2020

Thanks for comments.

Epilogue:

I tried to buy the neighbor's plasma TV; offered to buy them any new
TV they wanted as long as it wasn't a plasma and give me the one they
had (so I could scrap out parts and let a pal blow holes in the screen
with a shotgun) but no deal ("But I LIKE my plasma TV.")   By the way,
these were the kind of people who would wake up and flip on the TV and
leave it on all day into the evening whether they were watching
anything or not.  I knew when they were awake because BAM, the RFI
would come on wiping out a lot of 160 m.

I spent a number of years experimenting with various combinations of
small rx antennas and phasing with unsatisfactory results.   Finally,
I hit on the right setup.  A pair of rotatable Pixel Loop antennas,
each on its own mount with TV rotator, and feeding a NCC1.   I bought
some of this second hand but even so, the whole setup including
rotators, feedline and mounts cost around $2000.  But, on 160 m., I
rotated each loop so as to put the TV in its respective null.  Then I
used the phasing box to null out what was left.  Finally, I had
nothing but sweet band noise while the TV raged next door.   Ahhhhh,
relief at last.

Then about 9 months later the neighbors moved to Texas and took the TV
with them.

73
Rob
K5UJ