[RFI] An article that happened to pop up today

KD7JYK DM09 kd7jyk at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 16 16:35:42 EST 2020

> I've been telling hams for years that they can do a lot with small
> chokes placed strategically in DC lines, but no, they'd rather blow
> hundreds of dollars on the amighty ferrite miracle stuff.

I do one better, and just wrap the line into a loop while listening to
the radio (or watching a spectrum analyzer), then secure with a
bread-tie, stray string from a sock, or some such, when the noise stops.
  Seems most everyone forgot the origin, and purpose, of the word, and
device, "choke".

Here was a simple fix...  RFI from an LED light on the end of a 30'
romex run.  Placing my hand over the bulb eliminated the RFI.
Impractical, but interesting.  Running my closed hand down the romex to
around 6" - 10" also eliminated the RFI.  Solution?  A piece of wire,
connected to the junction box at ground potential, wrapped around the
romex in a spiral, out to about 10". A "choke", choking.

Kurt