[RFI] RFI

David Eckhardt davearea51a at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 14:52:30 EST 2020

I do not have a high efficiency multi-speed AC unit.  However, in light
that it may help someone else, I did have one RFI problem with ours, a
Carrier (my least favorite, but that's what they installed......).  Our
motor starting capacitor failed (on the hottest summer day of two years
ago: 107 F).  The service man did not have the same physical size capacitor
with which to replace my failed unit, but the value and voltage ratings
were correct.  So in went the new capacitor and the Service man drove away
(after my writing him a check).  Then, just to make sure all was well, I
turned on the radios.  BAD......  V E R Y   B A D   HF RFI.  Well, since
the new cap. was physically smaller than the original, I checked outside
with the radio turned up to break my wife's ear drums and the radio room
window open while I moved and nudged things around inside the AC unit
(covers off).  Sure enough, the new cap was rattling in its position due to
vibration (darn Carrier units...).  I jammed a piece of wood (from past
construction) to securely captivate the new cap in its place.  Went inside
to verify what I thought I heard outside.  No RFI!!!!  NONE.....

I've often pointed out to 'those in training' in all things RFI, that if it
rattles - even a little - its trouble.

Dave - WØLEV

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 7:43 PM k5hab at arrl.net <k5hab at arrl.net> wrote:

> Kim
> Run from American Standard.  I would talk with your AC guy and explain you
> concerns.  I would ask him to show you the system he wants to sell you
> installed and use your RFI sniffer and make sure it is RFI quiet.
> I would then put it in the contract that it will be RFI quiet like the
> install  like the unit you checked or he will give money back.
> Peter
> N5YJ

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*