[RFI] ADSL2 RFI

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Feb 7 18:16:03 EST 2020

On 2/7/2020 1:57 PM, HP wrote:
> Are there any ADSL2 gurus on this reflector

Hank,

I have no experience with ADSL, but lots with RFI, especially
suppression of common mode coupling at MF and HF. The same chokes that
are effective for TX and RX antennas are also effective on data lines.

Something else that can help is to replace as much as possible of the
length of Telco's lines that are within the near field of your antennas
with a good grade of UTP CAT5/6/7. Belden makes a number of these cables
with pairs that are individually molded to prevent deformation of the
twist when the cable is bent.

Many years ago, Bud, W2RU, had to deal with a problem like this, and we
corresponded extensively about it at that time. Also many years ago,
W8JI encountered similar issues, called the DSL provider to fix it, and
got them to install a new interface which, I think, took care of the
problem. You might want to touch base with either or both of them.

Also, take a look at http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf and
http://k9yc.com/KillingRXNoiseVisalia.pdf about radiation of "backhaul"
data on both DSL and CATV lines, and about Plasma TVs. It's page 15 of
the text link, slides 181 - 197 in the other link.

Note that I also strongly recommend using as little wired ethernet as
possible, both because of the birdies that are present, but also because
it can act as antennas to receive and transmit RFI. I've used only WiFi
for at least 15 years. With thoughtful placement of a good quality WiFi
router, the system works just fine for every application I need,
including streaming hi res video.

73, Jim K9YC