[RFI] Multi-Stage High Efficiency Air Conditioner Units

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 8 13:26:52 EST 2020

My understanding is that the RFI is generated by the variable speed
motor controls. In these systems, both the compressor and the forced-air
run at variable speeds. Which is the main contributor to the RFI? These
units will be maybe 30 ft from my tower; I shunt-feed my tower for 160
m, so they will be in a relatively high RF environment.

*IF* we replace our current units (and that's a *very* big if), I'll
make sure that the thermostat line is also filtered one way or the other!

Kim N5OP

--

Kim Elmore, Ph.D. (Adj. Assoc. Prof., OU School of Meteorology, CCM, PP
SEL/MEL/Glider, N5OP, 2nd Class Radiotelegraph, GROL)

/"A great second violinist plays second fiddle to no one." //– Robert C.
Marsh, Chicago Sun-Times./