[RFI] FCC Limits on Harmful Interference: Clarification

David Eckhardt davearea51a at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 12:37:30 EST 2020

Kurt, the AirSpy SDR can function as quite a capable spectrum analyzer.
The spectrum analyzer app comes free with the download of SDR#,  It will
span, at its maximum, continuously from roughly 20 MHz through 1.8 GHz or
as small as any 10 MHz slice within that range.  You can use an up
converter for HF on downward in frequency.  The whole package might set you
back $200, but its well worth it.  Of course, you will need a laptop to
make it a portable setup.

Yes, its time for FCC and the rest of the world to revisit the
unintentional radiator / incidental radiator limits again.  In reading your
email, I realize it really has been nearly 6.5 decades - 65 years!!!!
During that time, technology has gone from  vacuum tube based to silicon,
gallium arsenide, and some others on the way, carbon nanotubes??  Here,
recently, I've read about something interfering with emergency services.
Enough of that, and FCC will be forced to revisit the limits on emissions.

Don't believe any plasma TV ever did pass radiated emissions!!  I had one.
I made rigorous RE measuremens from the unit.  It was in excess of 20 dB
over the FCC limits for radiated emissions.  It would not pass even Class A
(industrial) limits.  Again: WHERE IS THE FCC?  Have a read of my QRZ page,
especially the last paragraph.  All from experience.

Dave - WØLEV

On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 4:54 AM KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk at earthlink.net> wrote:

> > "FCC has since increased the maximum required frequency of
> > measurements that applies to those limits from "the fifth harmonic of
> > the highest frequency used (and if you generate it, you use it)" to
> > (if that can not be determined) to 40 GHz.  Other than that, there
> > have been no changes for quite a number of decades."
>
> I suppose if this was the late 50's, this would be awesome! Perhaps, in
> light of how bad it has gotten, nearly 3/4 of a century later, it's time
> to review the decade old standards, and come up with some real-world (as
> of this time, and reasonably foreseen) requirements, with a reasonable
> limit on strength.  Old junk electronics will die off, new stuff can
> meet a better standard, such as we are learning with plasma TV's.
>
> Speaking of which, I have a new to me, relatively modern vehicle, that
> is an RFI/EMI cesspool.  I'm envisioning sheathing the wiring in EMI
> tape and bonding everything I can.  I'll have to jump into SDR with both
> feet as hearing a few kHz at a time with an HT, or even seeing a few MHz
> with an HP, or Singer spectrum analyzer is no longer sufficient, I want
> to see many, many MHz at a time, in real time, and also have the ability
> to sniff individual wires/harnesses/modules.  It should be fun, and if a
> hobbyist can do it after the fact, those in the industry can achieve it
> during the design phase.
>
> Kurt

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*