[RFI] Quidance on finding noise?

Don Kirk wd8dsb at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 07:31:37 EST 2020

Hi Ken,

I helped W9TC locate a street light that was causing interference on HF
that sounded just like power line noise.  Noise only during hours of
darkness, and it was on continuous.  The bad light pole had a bulb that
appeared to be burned out (it never illuminated).  The audio signature was
similar to what you see from power line noise (120 Hz), and I was able to
use 136 MHz AM to confirm the light pole was the source.  Don't know what
the problem was with the light pole, but the property owner had the light
repaired, and problem went away.  The light pole was located 560 feet from
W9TC antennas.

I really don't think you should be thinking about anything, other than
using good direction finding techniques to locate the source.  You need to
use direction finding techniques to identify the property where the noise
is originating, and then identify the culprit device, not the other way
around (just my stead fast opinion).

Just FYI,
Don (wd8dsb)