[RFI] Quidance on finding noise?

AA5CT jwin95 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 9 18:50:16 EST 2020

One 'arc' strike per half cycle is visible (like a spark gap
transmission), yet, not an arc.
Have you ever seen an O-scope used this way? Synced to
the line rate? To see the strikes per cycle?

This matches the 'arcing' sources I've tracked down before.

I had a real-time Spec An I could put in Zero Span mode and
trigger from the "Line" and observe sometimes two or three
strikes per 1/2 cycle on one noise source about 10 yrs back.

One could also hear the change in 'tonal' quality as the strikes
would sometimes be 2 and sometimes 3. This source turned
out to be a primary wire to a fuse holder that had broken loose
and was 'moving' (like bouncing) slightly in the wind. One
could visually see the arc and I even managed to capture
the arc in a still picture I included in a pdf file documenting
that adventure too. Maybe it was more than a decade back?

Too bad I don't have a video of the Spec An in Zero Span mode
although I'll have to check an older PC to be sure. The nice
thing about a Spec An with that capability is I could widen-up
the IF bandwidth and the "strikes" would then sharpen-up and
become quite distinct.
de AA5CT
.
.