[RFI] Dealing with RFI from light dimmers

Frank O'Donnell vfo at inkbox.net
Wed Jan 29 17:12:41 EST 2020

On 12/27/19 1:39 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> My advice -- 1) replace your noisy dimmers with top-of-the-line
> Lutron. Make sure you're buying dimmers designed for use with old
> fashioned incandescent lighting. 2) Replace LED and fluorescent bulbs
> with incandescent bulbs. 3) Apply common mode chokes to both wires
> connected to each dimmer, as close as practical to the dimmer.

The good news in my situation is that all of the bulbs controlled by our
dimmers are incandescent.

Last week I phoned Lutron to ask if they could identify any of their
dimmer models known to have better RFI suppression. Basically the answer
is they weren't able to say. The rep suggested trying newer models, such
as Maestro or other C.L. type, but couldn't vouch that these would be
quieter at RF.

The local hardware store was out of Maestros, so I took a look on Amazon
to order one. There I noticed one review by a user who said that his
light controlled by a Maestro dimmer could not be completely turned off
-- it could only be dimmed to a very low level. This would be a show
stopper for us.

So, before I move on to working on chokes, I'm a little stuck on which
Lutron model(s) to try. For our uses it needs to have a switch that can
turn it completely off. I did note Gary Johnson's post from mid-December
in which he reported that Lutron's Diva model is not RF-quiet,
particularly at lower bands.

If anyone has suggestions on a specific Lutron model to try, I'll be
happy to do so.

Thanks much,

Frank K6FOD