[RFI] RFI Solved After 2 Years

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Jul 10 13:59:39 EDT 2020

These are great observations. Some definitions are in order. In the
world of electrical parts suppliers, the "electronic transformer" that
is virtually universal today to run LV lighting is a Switch Mode Power
Supply, which we all recognize as a noise generator. A REAL transformer
feeding a rectifier/capacitor filter, with or without regulation, is
called a "magnetic transformer."

In my limited experience, "electronic transformers" are small enough to
fit in the backboxes for most lighting fixtures, but "magnetic
transformers" are not. This is the problem I ran into in the home we
bought in W6 15 years ago. My EU Beverage runs about 30 ft from that
fixture, so the best I could do was chokes on the wiring.

A few years ago, I replaced the incandescent bulbs in those fixtures
with LEDs from Wired Communications, a vendor who has for many years
exhibited at West Coast ham events.

https://www.wiredco.com/LED-Lighting-Low-Voltage-s/1874.htm

A linear PSU, purchased from a mainstream industrial electronics vendor,
is mounted in the ceiling above one of the fixtures. The greatly reduced
current requirement of the LED instruments made it practical to fit a
suitable PSU. I no longer need to bug the XYL to turn off the bathroom
lights when I want to use that Beverage. I don't use a dimmer on that
fixture.

Also in my limited experience, Lutron has historically made dimmers that
are pretty quiet. At least 15 years ago, I had contact with one of their
designers, talking about RFI. I've not used dimmed lighting, but serious
TopBand DXer NI6T told me years ago that a specific Lutron model was
quiet, and when I needed one for the room where I read, I bought a
Lutron. Since I'm the only one who uses it, I have no idea how noisy it
might be. :)

73, Jim K9YC