[RFI] LED streetlights - Lumenistics

EDWARDS, EDDIE J eedwards at oppd.com
Wed Mar 4 14:25:28 EST 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: RFI On Behalf Of Gary K9GS
Snow is not an issue with LED streetlights since they do dissipate quite a bit of heat as David pointed out.  Snow, however, is an issue with LED traffic signals. Streetlights stay on for hours, plenty of time to get warm. Traffic signals are constantly turning on and off.73,Gary K9GS

Since streetlights turn off during daylight hours and it can snow heavy during the daytime, I don't think this cycle is the reason that it is not a problem on streetlights.  It probably has more to do with the design of the light sensor's design on top than snow melt from heat from the LED light fixture.  Just a guess so as always, I could be wrong.

I also remember when the LED traffic lights first went in our city.  It caused RFI to 2 meters and probably more, but mostly in close range.  Bigger problem was the ability to make the light change by transmitting on 2 meters when sitting at a red light!  That got them removed quickly.

73, de ed -K0iL