[RFI] Fwd: Re: [Elecraft] New Astron Switching PS RFI?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon May 18 16:57:57 EDT 2020

Here's what I posted to the Elecraft list in response to the same question.

=   =   =   =   =

On 5/18/2020 11:38 AM, Josh Fiden wrote:
 > These SS-30M supplies have been around a long time. Do others report
RFI problems?

Josh, Bob, and all,

I have no experience with Astron SMPS, and have seen nothing. I do,
however, own several no-name switchers advertised as quiet that are
quite noisy.

My question was techie-rhetorical. We should not trust ANY reports that
xxx product is RF quiet unless we know a LOT about proximity of noise
source to antennas, the sum all of the other noise that could be
obscuring it in the observer's receiver, and that info for ALL ham bands.

A meaningful test would be waterfall plots from an SDR with a small loop
antenna that can be placed in proximity to the potential noise source.
This doesn't require lab-quality testing, simply a waterfall covering
the frequency range of interest. Prior to the availability of
inexpensive SDR RX, I've used (and still do for some applications) the
broad coverage RX in my VHF/UHF talkie.

This post on the Elecraft list from K9FD says it better than I did.

73, Jim K9YC