[RFI] Green Wire RFI

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Nov 13 22:03:11 EST 2020

On 11/13/2020 4:48 PM, K9MA wrote:
> While I generally agree that the green (ground) wire should go through the CM choke, here’s an exception: My gas water heater was shutting down whenever I was on 160. It has a grounding cord, but the ground is totally redundant because the tank is tied into the copper plumbing. (That would not be the case with non-metallic plumbing.) I made a choke with a two-wire extension cord, and left the green wire open. No more cold showers.

That's NOT an exception, because 1) is a VERY unsafe, and 2) it is a
major violation of virtually all building codes in North America, which
require that the Green Wire run WITH the phase and neutral conductors.

Because you have added resistance and inductance to the grounding path,
you greatly reduce the likelihood that a breaker or fuse will operate in
the case of a fault.

73, Jim K9YC