[RFI] Green Wire RFI

donovanf at erols.com donovanf at erols.com
Sun Nov 15 15:36:43 EST 2020

Hi Scott,

A much better idea is to invest some time resolving the RFI...

If you you have an EE degree or you're a licensed electrician
you understand both RFI and the consequences of ground faults
already.

The green wire to your water heater provides the only direct path
back to the circuit breaker, copper plumbing provides an indirect
and less reliable path back to the circuit breaker.

The green conductor path will trip the circuit breaker if a live wire
in the water heater shorts to a grounded conductor for any reason.
The copper plumbing path might trip the breaker or it might not.

Maybe you no longer take cold showers, but the intentional
removal a NEC required green wire circuit could prove to be
a whole lot more inconvenient than that...

73
Frank
W3LPL