[RFI] Green Wire RFI

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Nov 15 16:47:46 EST 2020

On 11/15/2020 1:16 PM, K9MA wrote:
> If both ends of a winding of a common mode choke are connected together, it’s like a transformer with a shorted winding and the impedance of the other windings is reduced.

I suggest that you study my tutorial on how ferrite chokes work.
k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf  An effective common mode choke is very lossy in
the range where it operates, so transformer coupling through the core
would be quite weak.

> I’ll connect the green wire, but not through the choke.

NO! If all three conductors don't go through the choke as a single
triplet winding, the choke adds inductance to the path that SHOULD blow
the fuse, which delays the fuse blowing, which, as Frank observed, could
make someone lose the use of themself.

And, since most power line RFI is ON the green wire, if it doesn't go
through the choke, the choke won't do anything.

73, Jim K9YC