[RFI] NEW REFRIGERATOR/FREEZER from KITCHENAID

KD7JYK DM09 kd7jyk at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 1 10:27:05 EDT 2020

"I wouldn't be surprised if the noisy circuit has mounting holes on the
pc board for RF suppression components that they added to pass a
compliance test, then
left off in production."

No surprise there, if so.  20 years ago, I worked for a company
designing much of what we use to communicate online now.  Prototype
power supplies were designed, and tested, exceeding specs.  They were
reviewed state-side, found good, and put into production.  Somewhere
around 10,000 - 15,000 units were ordered to be distributed with the
product as there was a considerable price drop at those numbers, far
less than the FCC/CE/UL certified units from Digikey, at under $3 a pop.
  Later, it was found out why.  ALL suppression, and filtering
components were removed.  It was easier to send out the bad units, they
worked, than find a legitimate supplier in Asia.  Eventually, the
company went under, and all assets auctioned off.  God only knows where
the garbage SMPSUs were later used.

Kurt