[RFI] Clean Audio Amplifiers For Amateur Use?

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Oct 13 13:07:07 EDT 2020

I think most stereo/5/7/9 channel "receivers" are transformer power
supplies and AB designs. At least the couple dozen I've owned.  Maybe
the latest $100 ones at Best Buy are now SMPS.  If the power label says
100 to 240v or the box is too light, or the distortion isn't sub 0.1%
then it might be SMPS or class D etc.  The higher end amps usually have
toroidal transformers.

I think the most common audio RFI problem is pickup by the speaker leads
and rectification in the output transistors. CM chokes at the amp output
make a big difference. Then CM chokes on power and low level RCA signal
leads (good cables help a lot).  Balanced shielded low level XLR
connections usually make small signal RFI not a concern on high end
equipment.

There have been a few class A power amps, one was the Perreaux PMF 3150
from ZL, I could fry an egg on mine @ 150w/ch.  Awesome sound tho.  Now
on ebay for more than I paid in 1994.  I see they are back in business
with A/AB MOSFET amps. Other rare bird class A amps on ebay as well.

I haven't seen an "SMPS" in mid/high end other than in the rare Bob
Carver designs (Carver & Sunfire) which have a signal following power
rail. Awesome 800w/ch.

The only in production transformer coupled semiconductor amps I know of
are from fabled McIntosh, the ultimate wizards of transformer design. $$$$$

Most all of the car amps > 20w are switched mode power and class D.
Awful sound.

Ebay and the local thrift stores are good places to look for older
receivers w/o the 4k and HDMI bells and whistles and almost always AB
plus linear power supplies.  At lower power levels (<50w) a complete AB
amplifier on a single chip. (TI, ST)

Grant KZ1W