[RFI] Sine wave correction for small generators

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sat Oct 31 23:06:56 EDT 2020

I am considering adding a 60 Hz "tuned circuit" in line after my emergency 7500 watt
generator. Although I have not yet looked at the wave-form of the output, from what I read, it
is essentially a "stepped" representation of a sine wave, which is, in my opinion, very dirty.

I have two, very heavy, 115-to-115 VAC, 15 amp transformers (they weigh at least 50 lbs
each).

I am considering paralleling enough capacitors on the inputs and outputs of the two
transformers to result in 60 Hz tuned circuits in an attempt to smooth out the "stepped" 60 Hz
waveform.

Has anyone tried this and if so what was your result?

Ken W7EKB