[RFI] Soliciting Help From Certified RF Engineer

Hare, Ed W1RFI w1rfi at arrl.org
Wed Sep 2 11:53:45 EDT 2020

Yes, harmful interference is the basis on which the FCC Enforcement folks resolve almost all of the complaints it receives.  If three is an emissions violation, that gets handled by the Office of Engineering and Technology, which would move this out of the enforcement arena.  If EB received a report with technical measurements, it would send it to OET for evaluation, and if they came back and said that the test did not show a violation, but showed noise 20 dB below the Part 15 limits for intentional emitters, I suspect that EB would decide then and there that this is not harmful interference.

The other basis on which to compare noise levels would be to compare the noise to the median values of man-made noise in residential environments described in ITU-R P372.XX.  Those levels are also uncomfortably high and if FCC determines that the measured levels are  below that median value of man-made noise, that would be game over for harmful interference and it would possibly advise Solar Edge of that.

>From all indications, Solar Edge complies with the limits for conducted noise onto the AC mains.  The exact amount of radiation depends on a lot of factors, but by my calculations, a just-legal conducted noise on HF would be about S7 to an amateur with typical antennas located 30 meters from the house.  That would be from a legal system, other than the fact that we can usually make a case that S7 noise is harmful interference. Under the rules, the manufacturer of the device must meet the emissions limits and the OPERATOR of the device, typically a neighbor, is responsible for harmful interference. Solar Edge is assuming that responsibility on behalf of its customers and is continuing to work towards engineering solutions to the few problems remaining after correcting about 250 systems to the satisfaction of the involved amateur.

Ed