[RFI] Rheem AC RFI

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sun Sep 6 11:55:04 EDT 2020

One good example of RFI engineering:

I replaced my rotary 3 phase converter (American Power 20HP) with a
solid state Phase Perfect.  The PP has 20HP/64a continuous output and a
10sec surge rating of ~120 amps/phase, needed for starting a 10HP large
lathe/heavy load spindle, which the AP rotary could not do.

Obviously, I was a bit concerned about RFI from the PP, but since I'm
either on the radio or in the shop turning off the PP was an alternative.

Well, not necessary.  So far I've not detected any RFI with the PP on
all the time.  Also, it's audio quiet and has about 80w standby load, so
I always have 3p on, very convenient, no noise RF or AF (one lathe's 24v
control transformer buzz is louder).

Grant KZ1W