[RFI] Rheem HVAC RFI Link to document

Karin Johnson karinann at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Sep 8 19:57:55 EDT 2020

David:
The zero span pictures are exactly what exists as RF signals from the
switcher at a center frequency of 6.4 MHz.  That is where the spectrum
analyzer is tuned.  The timing between each pulse is a little less than 60
microseconds.  Since the drive to the compressor motor is 3 phase, I am
assuming there are three pwm pulses sent to the motor during a cycle.  If
you multiply the period between Pwm pulse approximately 60 usec by 3,
ie: 180 usec, then the period of the 3 phase cycle is about 5555 Hz.  This
corresponds with the brief documentation I have found indicating about 6500
Hz for the motor drive.  I don’t have and haven’t found the detailed
instruction manual for the Emerson EV2 inverter drive.
I spoke with Rheem today and they encouraged me to work with their local
Distributor Service Coordinator.  I have to work thru the installer first.
A tech is coming out tomorrow.  Don’t know how much help he will provide
But at least it is a start.  I have as much information as is available with

Internet searching so far.  As indicated there are a couple of documents
Missing yet.  Also I am very curious what the Low Pass cutoff frequency is
For the Inverter Drive input filter.  I have the equipment to measure it if
The tech is willing to remove it for me for an hour or so.
The purchase price is about $230 USD, and it is available at the local
Rheem parts distributor.
Since the spectrum plots were taken from a bandwidth limited antenna and the
Internal wiring plus the house wiring also contribute to the spectrum shape,
It is difficult to determine what the actual real levels are.
In the past when I have worked with EMC/RF test ranges the antennas were
Calibrated and wideband data was available to compute the "Antenna Factor"
During the EMC testing.  This is not the case here.

Karin Anne Johnson  P.E. K3UU
Palm Harbor, FL