[RFI] KC2IEB’s RFI Journey

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Apr 11 17:00:31 EDT 2021

On 4/11/2021 1:06 PM, Charles Plunk wrote:
> One tip; make sure you are tracking the right noise. I found out the
> hard way that many power line utility devices/poles emanate "noise" when
> you are nearby but may not be "the" noise that you are hearing in your
> station receiver. A break thru on my latest hunt was I re transmitted
> the noise over 440mhz FM from my hf station while it had a distinctive
> but varying pattern. Then compared to my 2m HT on AM with portable yagi
> by listening to them both while triangulating. Made a world of
> difference to tracking the right noise.

Exactly right. My RFI tutorials begin by pointing out the differences
between power line noise and electronic noise, then by showing how to
tell what you're hearing and how to chase it. They are in the form of
text and slides.
http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf
http://k9yc.com/KillingRXNoiseVisalia.pdf

73, Jim K9YC