[RFI] UV vs IR binoculars for arc's on utility poles

David Eckhardt davearea51a at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 18:54:28 EDT 2021

Absolutely!  Arcs and coronal discharge produce lots of UV.  A coronal
discharge is pretty cold and does not produce much IR at all.  You probably
won't even detect a coronal discharge in the IR.  An arc must be pretty
'hot' to produce IR, but even a 'cool' arc will produce UV.  Forget the IR
and go for the UV sensitive optics.

Dave - WØLEV

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 7:03 PM Charles Plunk <af4o at twc.com> wrote:

> Does everyone agree with this, that UV vision will work better than IR
> for possibly seeing tiny arc's on utility poles?
>
> There are a lot of options out there, in a consumer price range, for IR
> such as the Creative Night Owl binocular/camera for 189 bucks targeted
> to mainly hunters. But for UV binoculars it seems more limited. There
> are binoculars that specify UV and not pricey at all but few that have a
> camera. Don't really need a camera but would be neat for my webpage :-).
>
> My main source is still gone and fairly high confidence that it is
> repaired. But a much weaker intermittent source remains and at this time
> think its on the same pole. If I cannot see it also with my current
> binoculars may consider one of the above.
>
> 73
>
> Chuck
> AF4O
>
> Update webpage;
>
> https://www.qsl.net/af4o/Powerline%20RFI%20QSL.net%20Webpage/Arc%20Webpage.html
>

> On 4/16/21 10:51 PM, AA5CT via RFI wrote:
> > UV will show up corona; Infrared will show 'hot' hardware, but
> > not sparking or arcing as UV does.
> >
> > There was an article on this some years back. It was quite informative.
> >
> > Maybe search for same?
> >
> > de AA5CT Jim

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*