[RFI] Line noise vs Frequency

Charles Plunk af4o at twc.com
Sun Aug 8 11:35:37 EDT 2021

Interesting you would bring this up. My current 120hz target peaks at
roughly 19.5mhz. Falling off below roughly 10mhz to where its almost
insignificant and goes up to about the 2 meter band where its very weak
with directional antennas. I started hunting it after the power co fixed
my primary source back in the spring. I had isolated to a ~3' area of
ground wire stapled to the pole, I think. 7.2kv 3 phase pole with lots
of hardware so not easy to tell with ultrasonic dish. I wanted to do
some more investigating but then came the high Tennessee humidity for
the summer and the target has been >98% absent.

I greatly suspect it will return more frequently with the lower humidity
in late Sept/Oct forward. A few days ago the humidity got down to close
to 60% and it returned for a few hours.

Its on a pole in my back yard thus very close in proximity to my
antennas. As to why the peak, I would be interested to know also. Some
of the utility hardware of such a length it resonates on a certain
frequency? Just a guess.

One thing is for sure, an open mind is essential to hunting this stuff,
lol. My biggest surprise is finding 3 sources on 2 poles so far related
to the stapled ground wire. The one they fixed I actually saw it arcing
with binoculars. Another due to a crepe myrtle growing around the pole
(and stapled ground wire). Cut the limbs off it and it was gone. And
this third one that appears right now to be related to the stapled
ground but that has yet to be resolved.

Chuck

W4NBO