[RFI] DFing intermittent connection

k1ttt.dave at gmail.com k1ttt.dave at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 15:48:00 EDT 2021

I would go up with a long pole (preferably fiberglass or some other
insulator) and start whacking things to see if you can stimulate it.  Also
pull and push on all the cables, check that connections are tight, look for
rubbed through insulation on rotor loops, etc.  I had one once that would
generate a sub-harmonic, 20m tx caused 40m subharmonic and then also 15m
3/2's harmonic, must be a puncture in hardline jacket somewhere that would
arc and excite a resonance in a certain length of hardline... adding ground
connection to the connectors at the top of the tower stopped it.  I had been
hunting it for weeks with all sorts of tools and wouldn't have found it if I
didn't push and pull on the (totally unrelated to 20m or 40m) cables while
someone was monitoring it.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node: telnet://k1ttt.net:7373