[RFI] Initial RFI Issues

Kenneth Silverman kenny.k2kw at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 13:53:13 EDT 2021

Hi All,  I finally have my SDRplay RSPdx working: I now see why it's
critical to have a spectrum display to start the RFI remediation process!
I haven't turned off the house power yet but that will come soon.

Initial findings:

- I have 10-15 dB spikes every 58 kHz (not 60).  I see this on 80 to 10m (I
don't have antennas for higher frequencies).    On 160 the spikes are about
every 43-44 kHz.  Suggestions on the most likely offenders?  I assume HVAC
systems?

- I previously reported no RFI from my shack-installed Utilitech 1500765
recessed LED can/puck lights.  I take that back!  On my 10/15/20m resonant
antennas (which I recently put up), the shack lights raise the noise floor
by 7 dB on 10 and 15.  I see 3 dB on 12 and 17m using non-resonant
antennas.  Nothing on 20m or lower.

- recent rains have suppressed the power line buzz from S3-5 to lightly
heard (which may have allowed me to see the above problems)

73, Kenny K2KW