[RFI] ESD "Pad"?

KD7JYK DM09 kd7jyk at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 6 01:18:06 EST 2021

In the 1980's, my wife was working on computers, and controllers with
very large connectors, and wiring harnesses, that would be drug around
like fire hoses (small ones, like in an apartment), generating a bit of
static.  She described each piece of equipment as having a fairly large
static discharge pad on the side.  Before any harnesses were connected,
the end of the harness, the large connector and all the pins, was to be
pressed into this pad for a few moments to bleed off any static build-up.

Any idea what these pads are?  I'd like to research them, due to some
static issues that are arising here.

Thanks.

Kurt