[RFI] Odd broadcast radio reception.

David Eckhardt davearea51a at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 18:39:13 EDT 2021

ARRL has always been behind the power curve.  Remember how long it took
them to recognize the lowly transistor and to start including it in their
publications, especially QST and the Handbook?  A long time well after
industry had accepted the new, smaller, cooler, and few aging issues, all
of which vacuum tubes have!  They couldn't grasp current controlled
instead of voltage controlled active devices.  I was the one who 'taught'
ARRL how to represent printed transmission lines and printed reactive lines
in the 1985 Handbook, 1296 transverter.

Now they want to give Technician licensees HF privileges with no additional
questions on the 'exam' (such as it is) applied to HF operations.  I give
up...... even though my ex wife gave me life membership - long ago.

Jim, I believe we both know Ken Wyatt.  I recently attended his 70th
surprise birthday party in Fort Collins, Co.  I'm 74 and counting.

Dave - WØLEV

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 3:37 PM Jim Brown <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

> On 7/5/2021 11:27 AM, David Eckhardt wrote:
> > A strong RF source likely sent the front end and maybe even the IF into
> > saturation to produce a condition where nothing was received.
>
> This mechanism makes great sense to me. BTW -- THIS is my definition of
> "fundamental overload," and it was rejected by ARRL when I was asked to
> write a chapter on RFI for the Handbook more than ten years ago. Theirs
> dates back to the days of analog TV, when it was common for rigs to
> produce harmonics that caused TVI.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*