[RFI] Odd broadcast radio reception.

Cortland Richmond ka5s at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 5 23:56:54 EDT 2021

Those of us who got into Amateur Radio in our youth -- if we learned more on our own -- might sometimes have more understanding of electronics than some who walked off a stage with a BSEE.

Learning how to read at age three, I latched onto my parent's library after we returned from the UK in 1953, and was quickly reading adult level books.

I got into Amateur Radio after a teacher showed how insulated wire on a nail could pick up thumbtacks and paperclips, so I  I bought some wound inductors from our landlord's junkyard, and found one shaped like a doughnut.   When  powered for a short time, that TV  focus coil could propel ball bearings across my bedroom enough to stick in the wallboard.   Dad of course talked to the landlord, and a crystal-radio kit distracted me.... with Dad promising a transmitter if I built the ARRL's two-6AQ5 regenerative receiver.

I got one of the WV6 Novice licenses and with a short hiatus, got my General Class at 14 or 15, with Advanced and Extra after I joined the Army Signal Corp at 17, reenlisting for  Avionics maintenance, and on retiring, walked into engineering positions with no degree or coursework.

>From a Quora Answer:

If we’ve worked hand-in-hand with engineers of other specialties, we will be more able to produce — working with them — solutions or designs that allow both to maximize the desired results. We will be likely to to see fixes (when needed) that a conventional education might not consider.

And if we’re both accommodating of overall goals; resourceful, thoughtful and flexible, creativity that suggests factors others don’t think of may be acceptable despite others’ failure to see what we may suggest.

That’s how an autistic engineer (even sans coursework or degree) can work, and how I had a 21 year career in communications and avionics in the Army — but it was 28 years after that before I learned I was “on the autism spectrum”. I’ve worked in EMC test and/or design engineering in a number of fields; TEMPEST and consumer/business computers, Digital Telecomm Network equipment, portable defibrillators, and Aviation EMC.

The physics are the same; only the standards are different

https://www.quora.com/Which-group-of-individuals-will-be-more-successful-in-creativity-and-innovation-operators-working-daily-on-specific-systems-or-highly-educated-engineers-that-have-never-worked-on-a-specific-system-or-capability/answer/Cortland-Richmondt.\\

LINK