[RFI] periodic peaks in the spectrum

Don Kirk wd8dsb at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 18:43:26 EDT 2021

Hi Gary,

You certainly may use the link to my tuned loop webpage.  I’m sure it’s not
nearly as well balanced as your design (especially as you get up higher in
frequency like 28 MHz), but it still does a decent job for DFing.  Also
would be easy to just add a choke on the feedline using 31 material to
improve balance but I’ve never needed perfect balance when out hunting with
this antenna and use it as is.

I’ve noticed many folks spending a lot of time analyzing their RFI spectrum
plots, but not going the next step and building a DF antenna and that’s why
I suggest antennas that might not be perfect but are certainly adequate for
tracking down RFI and easy to build.  In all honesty I’m now using untuned
loops in most cases unless the signal can’t be detected when using them and
then I drag out my tuned loops that offer higher gain.  But now my go to
antenna is my portable flag due to it’s unidirectional properties, but on
very low frequencies (like 160 meters) I sometimes need to use the tuned
loop to hear the weakest of RFI.

Once again you addressed very important issues in your design, but I’m
concerned that some hams are intimidated by all but the simplest of designs.

73,
Don (wd8dsb)