[RFI] Difficult power line RFI find.

Don Kirk wd8dsb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 11:51:13 EDT 2021

Hi Scott and gang,

Thought I would provide a status report on this case, and also provide a
warning to others regarding something I did which I certainly don't condone
(I'm certainly not proud of what I did and I can't stress safety enough).
I hate to even admit what I did in public, but thought I should mention it
as it's a good example of needing to be extra cautious around power poles
even if you think you are safe.

We were hoping the power pole (wooden pole) I found generating RFI last
week belonged to Johnson County REMC but I could not tell since the pole
tag number was covered up by a solar light that was likely installed by a
homeowner.  Johnson County REMC responded to our report and said the pole
actually belonged to AES, so we discussed the situation with our inside
contact person at AES and let them know we were going to get some
additional data before filing a formal complaint but we did send them a
link to a youtube video I created along with some pictures of the suspect
pole.  Here is a link to my video documenting the suspect pole:
https://youtu.be/uo5atDTo19w

I went back to the pole on Sunday to get more data and someone had
relocated the solar light so it was no longer covering the poles tag number
but one of two guy wires we previously reported were wrapped around the
pole was now partially covering part of the pole number.  I used a wooden
stick to push the guy wire slightly to the side (like a 1/4") to make sure
I could read the pole number and the RFI suddenly stopped on 135 MHz which
I had been monitoring by chance and the RFI started right back up as soon
as I stopped pushing on the guy wire.

I then did a closer inspection of the two guy wires that were wrapped
around the pole and one of them (not the one I was pushing on) did have a
connection to the neutral line high up on the pole and neither of the guys
were connected to ground as both of their bottom ends were just wrapped
around the pole about a foot up from earth (probably due to a car accident
or farm implement incident, etc), and both of these guys were in contact
with each other due to their wrapping around the pole on top of each other
near the bottom of the pole.  It appears that my pushing on the one guy
wire caused slight tension on a teardrop type clip that was on the top end
of the guy wire I was pushing and this teardrop clip (almost like a D ring)
rests (straddles) on a through bolt assembly high on the pole which acts as
the anchor point for the guy.  Note: At least the neutral line on this pole
is located below the hot (live) line so little chance for the guy lines to
come in contact with the hot (live) line even though they're not properly
secured.

I then did similar tests on 24.98 MHz, 1.8 MHz, and 1710 KHz, and the RFI
stopped each time slight pressure was applied to the guy line that was
covering the pole tag number.  I actually set up HF gear a good distance
from the pole, had my Iphone camera recording the HF gear while I ran back
to the pole to push slightly on the guy wire with my wooden stick.

I then contacted our inside person at AES and told them (admitted) what I
had done and that I was now concerned this pole was not just an RFI issue
but also a potential electrical safety issue since the guy wires were not
connected to earth at the bottom of the pole while one of them is also
connected to the neutral line up on the pole and the guys are also not
properly secured even though they are are wrapped around the pole (better
to remove them versus have them like they currently are).  Our AES contact
person then said they had actually already responded to the area on Friday
after our initial informal report to them and had identified a couple poles
generating RFI in the area which included the one I had identified, and
they had already issued a rush work order to fix the poles.

Note: one of the two guy wires might have actually been a steel strand for
supporting telephone wire in the past, I really have no idea.

I did take what I thought was reasonable precaution using my wooden stick,
but you can never be safe enough in my opinion and no reason to take the
risk.

Bottom line (no pun intended) is that you should not touch anything on a
power pole even if you think you are totally safe with what you are doing.
This is just my opinion, but I think it's sound advice which I know has
been mentioned previously (I know hitting a pole with a hammer has been
mentioned as a no no in the past, etc).  It took me a day to work up the
courage to post this story, and please don't chastise me.

73,
Don (wd8dsb)