[RFI] New Interference at kk0sd

Gary Johnson gwj at wb9jps.com
Sun Mar 21 19:41:34 EDT 2021

I agree it really sounds like arcing associated with power lines, even though yours are underground. But I had that same sonic signature here, and the root cause was a big TIG welder that a neighbor had just plugged into 240. Not using it mind you, just idle. I told him something was generating noise in his garage and when he threw the breaker, that was it. He was a qualified electrical installer and right away he figured out there was probably a connection problem in the welder. I never heard exactly what he fixed, but that solved it.

No problem at all triangulating it with my trusty loop antenna. It was 20 over S9 on most bands...
http://wb9jps.com/Gary_Johnson/RFI_files/Handheld_DF_Antenna.pdf

73,
Gary Johnson NA6O
gwj at wb9jps.com