[RFI] New Update -- Interference at kk0sd

Gary gary_mayfield at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 27 18:56:21 EDT 2021

By South Dakota standards last night was dead calm 😊.  I suspect the difference is the last time we had precipitation everything was frozen, and it has thawed now..

The noise did come back this afternoon a couple hours after the rain stopped.

The loop with the Yaesu FT-818 was able to hear the noise. Following the nulls pointed me at the back yard of one of my immediate neighbors. I hear nothing from the sidewalk in front of their home. From my side yard the loop points me at the very back of their home where the utilities enter the house. They are not home, I did not enter their yard. A direct view of the actual location where all utilities enter the house is obscured from my yard.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but my plan is to call my utility (cable company) Monday, now that I have a direction to point them.

Even at the closest distance I can get to the area, I still do not hear anything on the AM broadcast band (even with a GE Superadio using the built in antenna), but signals start to appear above 2 MHz. I can hear the interference on 2 meters with a small Yagi from the same closest point.

I am thinking this is a cable TV/Internet provider issue. I suspect they have traps on their system for the AM broadcast band. My thought is a power company problem would result in some noise on the AM broadcast band…

I will report back to the list when I have more for an update.

Thanks and 73,
Joe kk0sd