[RFI] Radar Engineers Model 251 Parabolic dimensions?

n0tt1 at juno.com n0tt1 at juno.com
Sat May 8 22:02:00 EDT 2021

The RE 250.  I have one.  The dish dia measures 18" and the depth is
4-3/8".
The transducer opening is just over 4-3/8".  The opening of it's housing
is
level with the dish when viewed across the dish opening.  Hope that
helps.

I'll repeat the gist of my previous post on the squirrel guard.  It works
VERY well
as a US dish.  It has pin point accuracy!  It's easy to check the focus
of
any dish that has even a somewhat reflective surface.  Clear plastic
dishes
are in that group.  Set the dish up on a tripod in a darkened room.  Set
up
a light source, such as a flashlight (AKA a "torch") say, 50 ft away and
aimed
toward the dish.  View the concentrated light "falling" on your detector.
 It
should fully illuminate it without blowing by the detector.  It should
NOT be
a single point of light, but instead, illuminate the entire surface of
the detector.
Don't have a detector yet?  Just use a piece of white paper and do
whatever physical measurements
you want.  You can even do this at your local store to check the focal
length, etc.
I've done that.  The dish, of course, must be pointed directly at a light
source.
Will this work outside, pointing at the sun?  Yes, but it may set the
paper on fire!

Now a few words on the detector electronics.  First off, don't bother
setting
up a dish to bench test.  Whatever detector circuit you use should be
sensitive enough to hear (loudly!)
your fingers rubbing together at a distance of at least 10 feet.  That's
with NO dish
attached.  No kidding.  You should hear virtually no "rushing" noise when
the
transducer/circuit is NOT receiving a US signal.  IOW, the circuit should
have very good S/N ratio.
Do all of that and you'll have the most sensitive US detector you could
buy.

73,
Charlie, N0TT