[RFI] SOLAR INSTALLATION PROS/CONS

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun May 23 17:05:56 EDT 2021

On 5/11/2021 3:50 PM, David Eckhardt wrote:
> Personally, I'd strongly discourage even considering solar power.

I'm a HUGE fan of solar power, but I share Dave's concerns about RFI.
The only reason I haven't installed it here is that the very tall
redwoods surrounding our home obstruct solar illumination sufficient to
make it practical.

These systems CAN be done without RF noise, and there are electronic
components (regulators and inverters, for example) that can be used by a
qualified engineer to build his own. Neighbor W6GJB has identified some
for a system that he's been thinking about for a while. Systems must,
for example, run all wiring carrying pulsed DC as a twisted pair
transmission line, carrying that transmission line through the series
connection of panels and batteries. Running the DC part of the system at
higher voltage to reduce current also helps.

73, Jim K9YC