[RFI] SOLAR INSTALLATION PROS/CONS

EDWARDS, EDDIE J eedwards at oppd.com
Tue May 25 10:29:36 EDT 2021

Rob,

What if the businesses were told what their possible risk is when they install products known to cause RFI to licensed radio services such as Fire, Rescue, Police and others?

Most folks knowledgeable about the frequencies used might realize the actual level of risk a dismiss the risk factor, but those not familiar with RF issues could be persuaded if told the possible risk.  If RFI interferes with public safety radio users in conducting their life saving response and action and this RFI results in injury or death to the public, any vendor or installer aware of this risk could be held liable for selling and installing products that cause the interference.  Amateur Radio could possibly be just the canary in the RFI mine raising the issue before something terrible happens.

Maybe a well written letter from a representative national organization explaining in general terms what risks are involved when products cause RFI to public safety radios could persuade an installer to work with their vendor to clean up their product to reduce their liability risk.

Just a thought.

73,
 de ed -K0iL