[RFI] Grow Lights Coming to NJ - What can we do?

Christopher Wawak kc2ieb at wawak.org
Wed Nov 3 09:39:34 EDT 2021

[please keep this topic ONLY to RFI of grow lights, and not politics, your
thoughts on cannabis, your lumbago, or anything like that. I am replacing
"cannabis" with tomato from now on.]

I recently read that NJ's Governor is open to TOMATO home-grow, which
typically involves noisy lights (as I understand it). Tomatoes are recently
legal in New Jersey. Whether growing them at home is ultimately allowed or
not, grow light RFI is coming to NJ neighborhoods. I understand it's pretty
bad!

>From folks out west, what can I expect from grow light noise? Wiping out
the entire spectrum, or a few spurs here and there? I live in a moderately
tight suburban neighborhood.

Since we know that it's coming, how can I work with my lawmakers to make
them informed of the impending impact of grow light RFI on the amateur
radio service and other services? Can we teach grow light users and vendors
about RFI-clean installations?

Thank you,

-- Chris KC2IEB