[RFI] QRM from recessed lighting

Christopher Wawak kc2ieb at wawak.org
Mon Nov 15 10:12:49 EST 2021

I put 6-inch Lithonia Wafer LED lights all over my house, and they make no
significant difference to my noise floor. There are at least 6 in
every room, and my shack has 8 in the ceiling. They're controlled by lutron
caseta dimmers, which are also not noisy. They are super simple to install
(wire it up, squeeze some clips, and its in the hole), and you can probably
find them to fit the existing holes.

For what it's worth, I've had contact with both Lithonia and TCP
engineering (as well as Lutron!) with questions over these lights and got
great answers. Maybe reaching out to Torchstar might give some relief?

The noisiest LEDs in my house were retrofit bulbs that went in recessed
cans. After replacing these with TCP brand, I had no RFI issues though they
still make an annoying audible buzzing noise that no one but I can hear.