[RFI] QRM from recessed lighting

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Nov 15 13:59:50 EST 2021

On 11/15/2021 5:43 AM, kq3f at comcast.net wrote:
> I suspect the noise is coming from the transformers. Any idea how to deal
> with this, or do I need to replace the lights with something else? Thanks in
> advance for any hel

I suspect that there are no TRANSFORMERS (2-windings, magnetically
coupled on a iron core) in this system. Rather, what they are CALLING
transformers are switch-mode power supplies (SMPS), that convert 120VAC
to low voltage DC to power the LEDs.

SMPSs are notorious noise generators. I found them in back-cans for
lighting in the bathroom of the home we bought in CA, generating
bodacious noise. When I went to local electrical supply looking for a
transformer, they tried to sell me another SMPS that they called a
"transformer."

73, Jim K9YC