[RFI] Hockey Puck recommendations?

David Eckhardt davearea51a at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 16:11:21 EST 2021

HINT:  Leave enough volume in the final installation to replace the
"electronic transformer" with a real chunk of copper and iron.  Hammond
makes a wonderful line of transformers.  They are available from Antique
Electronic Supply in Phoenix (and I imagine elsewhere).  Online they are at:

     tubesandmore.com

When we had track lighting installed in this house, it was a 12-volt
system.  In the contract, I wrote ONLY a transformer to be used and NOT an
"electronic transformer" .  The installers no longer distinguish between
the two.  A transformer is a transformer to them.  Of course, I got the
dreaded "electronic transformer" in the final installation.  I contacted
the supplier (after some major internet searches) and learned that, indeed,
there is an FCC model made as a substitute for the original "electronic
transformer".  Turns out, it truly is treated for radiated and conducted
emissions and does pass - I tested it before installation.  At the time,
only 43 in stock vs. thousands of the SWPS "transformers".  Problem is, one
has to specifically request the "FCC Transformer" and.......  drum roll
...... it costs.......another drum roll......... 4X the stock "electronic
transformer".   How many noise makers are out there unknown to the home
owners??????

Dave - WØLEV

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 7:21 PM Dan K2YWE <dan.k2ywe at gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to replace three 2-1/2" pucks in the overhead of a Hutch. Current
> halogen 32V supply makes big time noise. I'm indifferent to whether the
> replacements are recessed (like the present ones) or surface mount if
> they'll cover up the ~2" hole.
> Any recommendations?
> 73, Dan

*Dave - WØLEV*