[RFI] RE 331 Short review

AA5CT jwin95 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 1 11:31:43 EDT 2021

Question: Do you know what the effective RF or IF Bandwidth of the
RE331 might be?

Since received 'power' in the IF (or RF domain) is proportional to BW,
a 5 or 6 MHz wide IF/RF will present more 'power' to the detector at the
end of the IF/RF gain strip than a 5 or 10 kHz wide 'normal' AM receiver.

I have used an HP Spec An before with a wide IF selected to look
at pulse shapes in zero span (non-sweeping) mode, routing the detected
IF output to an O-scope for observation; a wider IF on a broadband pulse
results a good representation of the pulse, sometimes one can see multiple
'breakdowns' of a source per 1/2 sine wave cycle.

I've also used a TV Field Strength meter to look at pulse RFI noise too,
and that receiver had about a 500 kHz IF BW and seemed responsive
to pulse noise (like NTSC Vert and Horz sync pulses).

de AA5CT Jim