[RFI] Splatter from AM Radio Station WNTS Indianapolis

Gary Peterson kzerocx at rap.midco.net
Wed Oct 27 12:22:44 EDT 2021

Dave,

I know that Tom, W0IVJ has a strong harmonic that falls in the 40 meter band, that is originating from an AM station in Colorado.  That station has also not been switching to their licensed nighttime power for a very long time.  I don’t think it is the same station that you are referencing.

Tom has tried about every avenue he can think of to get the station’s or the FCC’s attention, without success.  As I recall, FCC Chairman Wheeler pushed for the huge reduction in the FCC’s field enforcement offices and we are suffering from the result.  I read today that it is highly likely that the new appointee to the Commission will be another of Wheeler’s people.  That does not bode well.

To answer your question...it doesn’t appear that the FCC cares about anything other than expanding broadband and gathering money from regulatory fees and spectrum auctions.

Gary
KzeroCX

You have found legitimate reasons for improper power.

We have a station in Fort Collins, Colorado, KCOL on 600 kHz that routinely refuses to reduce power as they should during prescribed night time hours.  I have called them on it several times, but it still repeats.  Excuses are usually given.  I measure their strength in dBm with good HP equipment and a fixed small shielded loop over the time they should transition from day to night time power levels.  Even several hours after they should be on night time power, they are still just as strong at my QTH as they are during the day.   Does FCC care?

Dave - WØLEV