[RFI] Splatter from AM Radio Station WNTS Indianapolis

Tom k8tb at bosscher.org
Wed Oct 27 16:24:18 EDT 2021

In 1972, still 18 years old, I started my so called radio broadcast
engineer career at the local 5 KW power house, WOOD.

On 1300 kc/s!

We would get complaints from hams in the area about the 3rd harmonic at
3900. My boss told them to use the signal to calibrate the receivers!

In the transmitter driveway, it would be rather weak at the 3rd.

But one day, many hams complained. We could not hear it from the
driveway. So I drove to one the hams houses who was hearing it. It was
rather strong, and using the old Nems-Clark field strength meter, it
came from a house about a half a mile away. In their driveway, it was
really strong, and the meter indicated it was coming from the house. I
had heard the war stories about the metal downspouts, and yes indeed,
jiggling one of them stopped it. I added that to my war story collection.

Now, I'm retired. Earned the right to start telling them war stories.

Tom Bosscher K8TB