[RFI] Splatter from AM Radio Station

Lee STRAHAN k7tjr at msn.com
Thu Oct 28 17:05:56 EDT 2021

Nope Al,
   One of the high level repeaters in Portland Oregon is situated in a Washington state facility right across the Columbia river on a mountain top. There were at one time 46 repeaters in that facility including the Portland Amateur Radio Clubs 146.840 Machine. Among those 46 repeaters were 2 commercial repeaters on 450 MHz that were exactly 600KHz apart. When and if they both transmitted at the same time  and the 2 meter carrier was up we called it "The dying dinosaur" from the awful howl feeding the repeater RF output and subsequent audio right back into and out of the receiver.
   An astute ham friend that also worked on the other commercial repeaters retuned the 450 MHz filter system and eliminated our problem.
      Just as an aside the 222 MHz band has a similar problem with commercial FM broadcast transmitters at 1.6 MHZ apart. Eventually in this high RF area I had to separate the TX and RX antennas on my 222 MHz machine to get enough isolation even with using a good duplexer.
Lee  K7TJR  OR