[RFI] 8982 KHz RFI?

KD7JYK DM09 kd7jyk at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 23 02:27:25 EDT 2021

A fellow put out a request on another group about what the thought was
some sort of jamming on military frequencies.  He sent me screen
captures from an SDR, and an audio recording.  What I heard sounded like
RFI I've heard for 20-30+ years.  I'm often online a few hours after he
hears it, check one to two dozen SDRs around his east coast location,
and hear nothing.

I thought I'd check some SDRs near where I grew up while I was online,
and put one of his military frequencies into it.  Sure enough, same
screwy noise, very strong on the west coast, same frequency.

So, RFI from similar equipment on both coasts, or some peculiar
communications mode?

I've heard many sounds like this since the 80's, or 90's, assumed RFI,
but not certain now.

Can be heard on 8982 khz USB on this SDR:

http://ak7v.hopto.org:8073/

Kurt