[RFI] RFI at W9RE tracked down to neighbors LG Refrigerator

Don Kirk wd8dsb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 11:46:44 EDT 2021

Mike (W9RE) recently asked for my assistance in tracking down some
broadband noise he was experiencing on 10 meters from his North-West which
the local power company had tried to locate at least 3 different times this
year with no success.

I went down to Mikes a few weeks ago and we located the property generating
the RFI, and then yesterday Mike and I worked with the homeowner to
identify the actual device in his neighbors house that was generating the
RFI.

I just uploaded a video onto youtube documenting this case, and folks might
find the information stating at 2:10 in the video interesting as it shows
how I use a very small loop to sniff circuit breakers in the main circuit
breaker panel to identify the suspect circuit that the device generating
RFI is located.  I typically am able to identify 1 or 2 suspect circuits
using this method, and this allows us to be the least intrusive as we don't
have to kill the main breaker or turn off each breaker one at a time until
we stumble upon the correct circuit.  I have now used this technique
multiple times, and each time it has been very successful.

For those interested, here is a link to my youtube video documenting this
case: https://youtu.be/vDB8rAwVt5Y

73,
Don (wd8dsb)