[RFI] CASE HISTORY - Powerline - Multiple Sources (re-post w/o errata)

EDWARDS, EDDIE J eedwards at oppd.com
Wed Sep 29 11:50:35 EDT 2021

Alan,

Sorry for my delayed post on this subject.  Some things previously mentioned on this group by the professional RFI investigators who have posted in the past but I wasn't sure if you were aware of in your post:

1. In older neighborhoods with older power lines, you should be able to find dozens and maybe over 100 RFI sources within a short distance to your station.  Not all of them are creating RFI being picked up at the location of you antenna(s).  And the utility is not required to fix all of them if they are not causing harmful interference to anyone.

2. Best way to verify that a source in the field is your RFI source on your radio is to get a noise signature on a scope, save it on the scope, then go into the field and find a matching noise signature in the field.  One ham on the list has done this using his ears, but most of us with tinnitus need visual scope readings.  LOL

3. If you let multiple sources ramp up, you will be "pealing the onion" as you remove the loud sources first only to find less strong ones below that layer.  You may have found this to be the situation in your case.

4. Back in the pre-cable, pre-streaming TV days, it was the utilities responsibility to find and repair RFI sources causing interference to TV or radios.  It is to their benefit to perform their work tasks in the most efficient way possible.  So it is to their benefit to have trained and well equipped RFI investigators.  Not all utilities will be this efficient as you have found.  Utility's budgets and internal politics can interfere with these tasks.  But the FCC's viewpoint is that it is the utilities responsibility to find and eliminate harmful interference from their equipment and only their equipment. The ham should only verify that it is from the utility's equipment and not his own or his neighbors'.

5. Always continue to listen at higher and higher frequencies when searching for RFI sources on powerlines.  You should be able to confirm a source by finding it at 300Mhz or higher.  If you cannot hear it that high, keep moving down the line until it gets stronger or fades away.  And it is possible it is not from the utility equipment at all if it is not broadband noise.

73, de ed -K0iL