[RFI] Another Solar Panel Interference Case

EDWARDS, EDDIE J eedwards at oppd.com
Tue Apr 5 11:23:31 EDT 2022

I've only seen RFI mentioned in passing a few times in Radio World a broadcast magazine.  Doesn't seem to be an issue for broadcasters typically operating from 5,000 watts to 50,000 watts.

If you think about it, it's not going to be much of an issue to local AM broadcasters who are using very strong local transmissions on ground wave to the receivers.  They may only lose fringe or rural area listeners, and only if those listeners get solar systems.  Compare that to amateur radio operators running only 100 watts (typical) or less or rarely up to 1,500watts (max) transmitting through the ionosphere once or multiple times with 40-70db or more of loss and requiring highly sensitive receivers to pick up the weak signals.

Most AM broadcasters won't be affected much at all with minimal loss of listeners.  But Amateur Radio will be.

73, de ed -K0iL