[RFI] Another Solar Panel Interference Case

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Apr 5 17:48:31 EDT 2022

What many hams continue to miss is that for about the last 20 years, the
MF and HF noise floor has increasing been dominated NOT by that
generated by the power system, but by switch-mode power supplies, power
control electronics, and solar systems. when I moved from Chicago to
NorCal in 2006 in the midst of a solar minima, I could EU several nights
a year on CW. Over the past 5-6 years, also a solar minima, and with
slightly improved antennas, I've HEARD about six CW signals from EU, and
only two heard me. Now I can work EU only using WSJT modes, and I worked
none this season. The difference is increased noise on both ends of the
QSO, and that FT8 can work about 10 dB deeper into the noise than CW
with great ops on both ends.

73, Jim K9YC